There seems to be a common belief that the best exercises ever developed for womankind is cardio (lots of it), squats, and lunges. In addition, heavy weight lifting will turn women into Arnolds. However, if you genuinely want to change your physique, you need to start lifting heavy. Women don’t have the ability to bulk up because they don’t have anything near as much testosterone as men. As well as that, women don’t consume enough calories or supplements and lift heavy on a regular basis.
- Faster metabolism: A study found that the average woman who strength trains two to three times a week for two months will gain nearly two pounds of muscle and will lose 3.5 pounds of fat. Also, your resting metabolism will be higher the leaner you are. If you want to slim down, combining cardio with weight training will help you get to where you want twice as fast compared to cardio on its own.
- It actually creates definition. Doing cardio on its own will leave you feeling shapeless and undefined. You need muscles to sculpt your body.
- Stronger: Research shows that moderate weight training can increase a woman’s strength by 30 to 50 percent. Increasing your strength can actually change how you perform your everyday activities, giving you more energy (because your muscles are working, rather than just momentum).
- Decreased risk of osteoporosis, heart disease, and arthritis
- It puts you in a great mood!