I finally have sugar cane, been waiting for them for a long long time! In Egypt, we usually have sugar cane juice in super fancy cups so you would drink it and peer at all the beautiful stray cats around you… *nostalgia*
But here, I would just peel it and chew on it like an angry person…
Here are some benefits of sugar cane:
- Sugarcane, being low on glycemic index, helps keep the body fit and healthy.
- Sugarcane juice has been found to be very beneficial for preventing as well as treating sore throat, cold and flu.
- Since sugarcane has no simple sugar, it can be enjoyed by diabetics without any fear. However, they intake should still be limited for people suffering from type-2 diabetes.
- Being alkaline in nature, sugarcane juice helps the body in fighting against cancer, especially prostate and breast cancer.
- Sugarcane provides glucose to the body, which is stored as glycogen and burned by the muscles, whenever they require energy. Therefore, it is considered to be one of the best sources of energy.
- If you have been exposed to heat and physical activity for too long, drink sugarcane juice. It will help hydrate the body quickly.
- Sugarcane is believed to strengthen stomach, kidneys, heart, eyes, brain, and sex organs.
- Sugarcane clears the urinary flow and also helps the kidney to perform its functions smoothly.
- As sugarcane consists of carbohydrates, in good quantities, it serves to refresh and energize the body. It supplies instant energy to working muscles and for this reason, it is also known to maximize performance in sports and endurance.
- Sugarcane is also good for digestion, as it can effectively work as a mild laxative because of its high potassium content.